- Refrain from purchasing items listed on a Craigslist ad that you have not personally inspected. Always wait to pay for the item in person. Never agree to pay or accept payment for items via Western Union, Money gram or wire transfer.
- Bring along a friend to your meeting with the seller. If it is not possible to bring someone with you, let your friends and family know where you will be. Always insist that the meeting take place in a public place like a park, coffee shop or shopping mall. Try to make the purchase during day light hours.
- Bring your cell phone with you during your face-to-face meeting.
- Use caution when buying or selling expensive items. Verify the authenticity of items before you buy them. Take care to secure any expensive items that you are selling. Do not advertise your home address where the item is stored, and do not encourage people to visit to look at your items.
- Avoid international transactions. Instead, try to sell or buy items locally so you can meet people
face-to-face to complete the transaction.
Harry L. Hobbs, PhD
Communications Relations Officer
Huntsville Police Department
City of Huntsville, Alabama
(256) 427-7043 (work)